Friday 21 September 2012

Sometimes School Is Scary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._N._Taber

Today’s poem last appeared on the blog in February 2011 and I have been asked to repeat it several times. I am posting it today as I was appalled to read how The Life in Scotland for LGBT Young People: Education Report  (2012) questioned 350 young people aged 13 to 25 about their experiences of being LGBT in educational establishments and is the biggest of its kind to date. The survey found that nearly 70% faced discrimination, especially in Education.  

I suspect much the same result if not worse would be revealed by a similar study of LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) students across the UK. (So much our for Equal Opportunities and political correctness legislation; in my experience, authoritative support for both in real terms is applied very selectively.)

I regularly hear from young people still at school asking how best they can deal with a dawning realization they are gay. Whatever some parents and teachers might say, there are no acceptable excuses for not giving these young people the support they need and deserve.

In my schooldays, gay relationships were a criminal offence here in the UK so I just had to get on with it on my own; it was a living nightmare that went on for years and one I would not wish on my worst enemy. It is a terrible indictment on the 21st century that homophobia persists in all corners of society across the world.

There are support networks accessible on the Internet these days, and I would urge any gay person being victimized for their sexuality to track down their nearest group; there is more than safety in numbers, not least an end to loneliness and a viciously eroded self-confidence.

Only cowards and bullies discriminate against people because they are ‘different’ in any way. As I have said on the blogs many times, our differences do not make us different only human.

It is high time the world’s socio-cultural-religious bigots got to grips with their humanity.

SOMETIMES SCHOOL IS SCARY

At school, I soon began to see
I was not like other lads,
(no chasing after girls for me);
at home, as on my bed I lay,
thankfully I faced up to reality,
finally accepted that I'm gay 

I tried to ask a teacher about it
but was told to look up stuff
in a book or go on the Internet;
facts helped but couldn’t solve
my dilemma, or assuage a guilt
I could see no way to absolve 

What, I wondered, should I do?
I felt frustrated and alone,
(school work slumped, me too
I couldn’t even think straight,
my only comfort (always on call)
in imaginings as I'd masturbate 

I'd see a boy in class each day
who’s hot looks and smile
haunted, taunted my being gay,
but after his best mate Trevor
took up with a regular girlfriend
we got to know each other 

Nervously admitting I was gay, 
I expected he'd run a mile;
he said he wasn’t, but it was ok,
even told me about a friend
who had formed a support group,
for gay folks at their wits end 

I joined the group, discovered
a whole new take on school,
learning, life, love and selfhood;
now, I don’t fret for being gay,
content to let nature run its course,
find true love, come what may 

Copyright R. N. Taber 2011, rev. 2012







No comments: